September 06, 2010

Cane Completed

Good afternoon, minna-sama. I'm a bit behind as I meant to do this Saturday, however better a little late then before it's first debut, ahaha. It's debut will either be sometime this week, or the meet-up next Sunday. I am looking forward to it very much. I still haven't decided and food things. I don't know if I'll be able to get down to Super Grand on Saturday. More food as thusly been acquired in the house, so I'm looking into a few homemade things... we'll have to see.

Now, onto the very exciting news. I have finished my cane. As I thought, it was neither terribly difficult nor expensive [considering the finished product], and since it was completed so speedily, I don't have step by step pictures. However, hardware and carpentry is a little easier to instruct with just words, so I hope that will suffice. If you don't want to put out for a $40, $50, $80, up to a $100 or more accessory cane, then look no further. Doing it yourself opens a world of possibilities to custom fit it to your exact specifications. And it'll save you a bundle, even with the more expensive tools you could buy.


You don't need very many tools, but it is essential to have a power drill. If you don't have one, you may want to look into getting the hole for the handle done at your local hardware store. If it's Home Depot or Lowe's, the first "cut" should be free. You need a dowel--choose your own thickness, but mine was 7/8ths inch--a foot to put on the end [because you don't want the end of your cane to get splintery or weathered], a handle, and paints. The dowel I got at Home Depot for about $3 [since it was solid oak], and it was already the right height for me. If you need something taller than what they have, try looking into long planks to be cut down, and if you need something shorter, as mentioned, the hardware stores usually offer a first wood cut for free. Try measuring at home to know your comfortable height. My rubber foots I also found at Home Depot, in a four back, for about $2.50, under furniture ends. Make sure you get one with an opening that is slightly smaller than the width of your dowel, because you don't want the dowel to slip out of the foot. Paint is optional, if you choose to go for the wood--or if you happen to get a silicon, metal, or plastic rod--look. Finish gives it a nice polished look, to be certain. I happen to stop into Michael's on my way back from handle shopping and they were having a sale on spray paint; a can of silver and black were $0.99 each.

The handle proved to be the most difficult to locate, and also is the most expensive piece. What I ended up using--in case you cannot read the print--is a draipery end. It was able to screw off from the rounded metal piece, thus being a stand alone makeshift handle. For the pair, it was $12 at Target. If you have a Bed Bath&Beyond near by, you can also find similar designed ones there, but I found they were more expensive. When picking your handle, keep in mind it's comfort in your hand. Even though you might not lean on it to assist in walking, you'll still have to keep a hold of it, so get something that fits and feels good in your hand. Though I originally wanted a multi-faceted crystal like thing, the glass globe is growing on me. Also, keep in mind it's additional height being added to the dowel, and be sure to accomodate when picking the height of the dowel and handle [and be conscious of whatever height you might stand at in shoes you're likely to wear while accessorizing with your cane].

Now with all your parts gathered, it's time to get to work. Set down some paper on a flat surface--outside is ideal...--and put the footer end on it. You don't have to spray paint this if you don't want to, but I did for effect; contrast to the black of the cane, and compliment to the grey-silver in the handle. Follow the directions on the can if you've never spray painted before. For your dowel, the body of the cane, you might have to get a little creative on how to do it all without making a mess of your hands. If you don't mind that, go ahead. I put on a glove and held one side, giving a good coating, then holding as little of the painted end while doing the rest. Just keep in mind your foot will be covering an inch or two of the bottom, so if there's an uneven coat or marks from stickiness and fingerprints, don't pay it much heed. I hung the dowel on my clothesline between coats of paint and acrylic finish, but use what you can to make it work. If you did paint your footer, it's up to you if you want to give it more than one coat.

After you give the color you want, spray on a finish of some sort to give your cane some gloss. I don't know how much something like that costs--it may be the same price as any regular can of spray paint--I just happen to have a dozen or so cans of variety polishes in the garage. The high gloss finish works the best. Two coats looks best, more is up to your tastes. I put the foot on at this point, to protect one end.

Next comes the fun part; yay for powertools. I recommend practicing your drilling [to make a straight hole] in a spare hunk of wood, and using a hole slightly smaller than the screw of the handle, to ensure a snug and tight fit. If you don't have plywood hanging around, just go for it, and go slow. Tap out all the sawdust that builds up in the hole. Even if you think you've drilled the hole deep enough, go another inch. I ran into trouble with a hole I thought was deep enough, but apparently wasn't [that or it was too tight to screw in deeper]. If you've done it right--so to speak--then the handle will screw in right plum to the top of the dowel and bottom of the handle, and tada, cane complete. If you run into trouble like me, don't panic. Hopefully, your project can be saved.

Luckily for me, the screw in the handle was double sided, going up into the knob itself. I unscrewed that part, drilled back into the handle, and was able to use the extra room of the handle to screw it plum to the dowel. If your handle isn't like that, you may want to use pliers to unscrew it back, and make the whole deeper, or if you can feel it getting tight with a lot of the screw still exposed, go back and drill, making it a tiny bit wider all around by scraping the sides. Hopefully though, you won't run into trouble. But whichever way it has to be achieved, once you've got the handle on, you're all done. Good job! Admire your handiwork.

Tada~ behold the finished product. I am immensely pleased with it, and am ready to take it with me to the meet-up. It's of a workable height even in barefoot, but I know with my dress chunk shoes, the height'll be an excellent fit. I am eager to walk about with it, but I think I'll wait a little aside from the meet-up for cooler weather, unfit to ride my bike in.

You can do it too, minna-sama, just break out your creative juices and see what you too can come up with. As for me, I'm onto my jabot next. I hopefully can finish it by this weekend, as an accentuating neck piece would go nicely with the tailed jacket vest. [Afterwards, it's on to the half skirt, Ukoku Sanzo cosplay, and Nudy Boy shirt.]

And the image begins to fall into place... the aura of prestige and poise befalls the stage... wherein a lone Aristocrat stands...
Eternally yours,
Il Ruinante Isaak

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...