August 03, 2010

Aristo Otaku's Weekend Out.

Good afternoon, mina-sama. It's been almost a week since I posted last, it seems. Things have been very eventful, as has been mentioned prior to my leave. I don't want to bog you all down with a lot of unrelated convention adventures and happenings, so I mean to make this concise and elaborate on more interesting fare. Please join me in my recollections, at your leisure.

I had set down a schedule for Otakon of all the things I wanted to do on each day; in the end, I would say I only ended up following about five or six things out of perhaps 25-30 panels, workshops, and signing sessions planned. But when I think about the things I might have missed if I had I instead chosen to wait in lines and sit around in rooms for hours on end, I can come to appreciate spontaneity. Just doing whatever came to mind. Meeting up with people, and stopping cosplayers for pictures. And getting your picture taken. Yana Toboso's 'Kuroshitsuji' Undertaker was a big hit, and over Friday and Saturday when I was fully adorned, I was asked for a picture about 35-40 times [not including the two Kuroshitsuji photoshoots]. The weather was not as harsh as it had been, and I was mercifully inside a majority of the time, so I managed to pull through without passing out from heat stroke. For next year--the dates have already been officially set--I will go with something more climate friendly, for the central AC BCC, and for whatever Baltimore summer heat wants to throw at us.

I bought a lot of things; my most important--and expensive--purchase of the weekend was Demonia black chunk boots. I has looking for something maybe half the height of what I bought. But they are comfortable, easy to put on, minimal difficulty to get up from the floor in, and easy to move around in. There will be pictures to come, along with the jacket that just arrived in the mail [a more elaborated post will follow soon].


I think the highlight of the entire weekend was the X Japan halftime performance and Q&A during the masquerade. Yoshiki is as skilled and sexy as ever, and new bassist Sugizo was too cute for words in that older man type of way [he even stands in a cute way, if you can imagine that]. By popular choice as voted on the Otakon site, with Yoshiki at the piano and Sugizo playing a beautiful silver weathered-hollowed out violin for the vocals--since Toushi was not there--the first song played was 'Forever Love'. I mouthed the words along as I cried. I think after I saw 'Forever Love' on the Last Live performance was when the song first started to make me try--towards the end. But I believe it was the song, plus the experience of it being live, live, before my very own eyes, two members of the world renown X Japan playing, that made me cry almost from start to finish. I have heard few things in my life that are as beautiful as that rendition of 'Forever Love'.

After that, they answered a brief Q&A of the most popular questions submitted from the fans. Sugizo doesn't speak English as well as Yoshiki, so at one point, although Sugizo answered what his opinion was of US fans vs. Japanese fans in a way that made the audience go all 'Awwwww~', Yoshiki added, "So let me just translate that. You all are fucking awesome." Euphoria. They ended by playing 'Endless Rain', another beautiful ballad among their usual rock genre, and are off to Chicago to play in Lollapalooza. My night--my weekend--was completely made.

And while there were many other adventures and tales and pictures abound, there is another place for that, to go on in elaboration. But know that for the rabid otaku inside of me, I still want to turn back time to that Friday, and do it all over again.

But now I must look into the future, because the dates are set, and a hotel booked. I'll take you on my paths to recreate Kazuya Minekura's 'Saiyuki' Ukoku Sanzo, and Yuya Aoki's 'Get Backers' Akabane Kuro'udo. Yes. Somehow I've been coaxed into doing the latter one as well. ^_^

We are in the final weeks of summer, mina-sama, so for those of you fond of warm weather, enjoy these lovely temperatures while they linger. Those longing for the autumn weather, try to enjoy the remnants of summer too, if you can. Soft winds in warmer weather can soothe the soul just as well as a cool breeze in crisp air.

As I count my blessings, and dance in my heart...
Eternally yours,
Il "Undertaker" Ruinante Isaak

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...