August 11, 2010

Shopping for Cane Parts

Good afternoon, mina-sama. Oh my, here I am again up and at em during the middle of the day, ahaha. I think I would be like this normally, except maybe I am wary of being interuppted while at work. Which I am right now, as well as the last time I posted at some hour other than evening. Not that it's really a bother, thanks to this handy auto-save. And I have a very wonderful boss [sort of the stereotypical super-nice little Indian lady] who asks for so little but thinks of me so much, and doesn't mind what we do with the computers [as long as it's not downloading/installing things like IM messengers].


Yesterday, I took the day off from work to go to a consultation at an orthodontists. I don't want to think about it. So afterwards, I had the car, and decided to run some errands and go ahead an enjoy myself on my day off for once [you see, Tuesdays were my days off until I suddenly covered for a colleague one day; now my boss thinks I want to work every Tuesday, which I don't]. So making a loop that involved money, cotton balls, nail polish remover, books [which I didn't end up getting] and a bike-lock, I stopped into Lowes to get a guage on how much the materials for my cane would cost.


The dowel was cheap, but taller than needed. I might buy two though, so I can have one for my normal height, and the second for my height in my Demonia boots. Maybe. We'll see. The dowels cost about $1.50-$3.00 depending on the material it was made from. One was oak, that was more expensive. The other one was wood, but not specified. But it looked fine to me so I would go for it. I decided to go with a 5/8ths inch diameter dowel, and I didn't check, but I think to get wood cut and Lowes is free for the first cut. So if I still decide to get two, I'll leave one at it's height, and cut the other to forty inches.


I didn't find the rubber footer thing. I think I need to look it up for a more specific term before my next hunt out [to Home Depot]. I don't think it'll cost more than a couple bucks, with any luck... And I need to make sure it can go over the width of the dowel. I wanted to describe it to an employee there, but all I could think of was 'it goes on the bottom of a cane', yet somehow I didn't think that would be entirely helpful, since it can't be a uni-tasker... right...? I don't know. I'll figure it out [or find something better to put on the bottom].


Last but not least--aside from the paint--was the handle. My original thought about the door handles doesn't seem to be in my favor, since most handles I saw on display for the cabinetry and doors had a "globe" to grab, then a thin little back, smaller than the diameter of the dowel. I'd end up with an odd shape on the top, some weird configuration, aauh. I didn't want to think about it. So I purused actual doorknobs, and those were too big around at the back. I was peturbed. So the last thing I did was peruse around the bathroom fixes area, looking for Delta faucet replacement faux crystal knobs. Those looked promising, except I suddenly found myself eyeing them and thinking them too big. Also, some of them I don't think the dowel would fit into, and lastly, they were kind of expensive, ranging from $9-$13, for individual or dual packs--hot and cold--knobs. In all, considering the other materials and the price of the made cane, I'm going to suck it up and buy it, but only after I work out the other problems with the knobs first.


I'm hoping when I next go on my outings, I can find something more suitable at Home Depot. The only other place I can think of in terms of retail stores is Jo-Ann's Fabric, but that's a stretch. If you have any suggestions, tips, or ideas, I am welcome to them. Again, this is all worked out in my head, and only in my head so far, except now that I've got at least an example of my resources, I'll have to tweak it a bit.

I'm trying to get back into my swing of endless passionate, random, writing, be it fanfiction or my own series excerpts. I really want to write at least one portion of my prison game story so I'll have it and it can be difinitive, but first I need to get this sexy image of Father Hugue and Father Tres shooting together out of my head... and Brother Petros in nothing but leather pants... mmmm... *Sniffs up trickling blood.* I can intepret anything you say that is too general as something helpful, I know it. And I'd like to get to cooking for you soon if I can. So much work, so little time... I guess I'll just have to knuckle down and do it. Yosh!

This week does not bode well in weather terms. And I am not looking forward to having to bike everywhere now that I have a lock. I was fine walking. There are too many factors that I was only reminded of this morning involved in bicycling. Sheesh. But here's to staying cool, drinking the night away [responsibly, if your involving alcohol, which wasn't my plan].

A glistening sheen in the wheat fields of June... and black plumage rains down.
Eternally yours,
Il Ruinante

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...