February 12, 2012

Nudy Boy Shirt Complete

Good afternoon, everyone~ I hope the week went well for all. We finally had another dusting of snow yesterday, and by dusting, I do mean maybe and inch, the promptly melted in the three hours I went back to sleep. I almost wondered if I hallucinated it. If you all are getting snow, do a ritual-dance-something-or-other and send it to the east coast, please. I'm feeling cheated out of winter, it's no fun just having blistering cold winds [even if they blow my long coats out].

In other news, you might remember way back when, I had plans to turn my Nudy Boy shirt [the first one with Engrish over it] into a replica of my black Visual Kei pants; using my new best instrument of modification, eyelets, I made a T-shirt and detached sleeves. Since I didn't use siding, this was a relatively simple project by comparison to the pants [and the white Aeon ones as well], taking just under 2 hours.

Here's the shirt before.
In a store that usually sells things like this for $60, I was pleased to get it for $20.
The most important thing for this project was to correctly measure out the space for eyelets when hemming the cut sleeves back. It all goes a little something like this:
T and sleeves with hemmed ends.
Eyelets in.
  1. If you decide to use siding for your sleeves, then you won't have to measure out extra to fold back. If your shirt in question is thicker, like denim, then you won't need to do either. This is for no siding. Depending on the size of your eyelet, you will have to adjust the measurements of how much you hem the shirt back. For 1/4" eyelets like I had, I just folded back the sleeves about 2.5 cm. Add that to the end of where you want the eyelets to go, because you're folding that part back. Cut a little extra for seam allowance. Repeat the same for the now-detached sleeves.

  2. Turn your shirt and sleeves inside out, pin, and sew all around.

  3. If you want, you can turn your T and sleeves back out the right way, unless you're okay with measuring and cutting the holes for the eyelets from the inside out. I recommend doing it from the outside. Measure how far apart you'd like your eyelets [and remember, you have to add the same amount to each detached sleeve, so make sure of how many you have], and trace the inside of  DEEP END eyelet over each mark.

  4. Cut out the hole through both layers. Watch your fingers!

  5. Put the DEEP END of the eyelet through the outside, and the shallow end on the inside. Get a nice sturdy surface [a garage floor or spare 2x4 works great] and hammer away~!

  6. Thread the T and sleeves together with your string/ribbon of choice.
Finished, all strung up~
Tada~. Magnificent results, if I do say so myself. And not one chip of nail or polish. I'd say that's pretty good. Aaaaand~ being primarily all white, it'll go great with the Aeon pants~. Now I have the urge to find a white rose hair piece...

Do you use eyelets for clothing projects? What's a handmade item you absolutely love? Got a DIY project in your head that's not working out on paper? I'd love to help. ^_^

Into next week~ [and let's get those snow-dances jiving, everyone.]
Eternally yours,
Il Ruinante Isaak

2 comments:

VictorianKitty (Sophistique Noir) said...

This matches a certain pair of pants you recently showed us! Very cool idea. Limitless possibilities, and who doesn't love pounding eyelets into place? ;)

Il Ruinante Sir Isaak said...

A little work out for your fashion, it's a win win if you ask me~. Thank you~ indeed, though the shirt is detached, and the pants are shoelaced, they do go well together, as I just experimented. ^_^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...