February 26, 2012

And now for something [else] completely different.

Good afternoon everyone~ how's the weekend been? Obligatory mention of Sunday relaxation. I'm trying to be semi-productive by straightening my hair, replaying Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, sewing a button back on, reading Noblesse, and going over GSO music in some sort of cohesion [Noblesse is winning]. Another week down. What am I counting down to? [Hmmm... I guess Otakon now, so very far away...] Well, that aside, as the title states, I had some fun on Friday.

This semester at least, I don't have class or work on Friday, so more often than not, I'll be staying home. This past Friday though, two of the student groups on campus I'm involved in were having fundraisers, so I came out to lend manpower and promotional support. In hindsight I think I somehow managed to mash both aesthetics of the groups [Japanese American Student Association (the ever popular JASA) and Satanic Mechanics Theater Company (no affiliation with Satan or car repair)] together without trying.
Yukata: Handmade
Hakama: Japan
Armwarmers: Hot Topic
Boots: Demonia

Of course, no day dressed in hakama is complete without a few pictures with Yasumisame. Ever faithful, simple and elegant, Yasumisame is my ferocity in modesty [...whut?].
I do know basic kendo strikes, but this is just posing for the camera, haha. ^_^

With one sleeve pulled up, I actually feel more like an archer.
The hakama and boots combination was apparently a somewhat popular style for ladies after the Meiji Restoration in Japan [around the 1860s]. That was the thought I had in my head when I was thinking about what I wanted to wear on Thursday [it is a rare occurrence indeed, for me to plan my outfits, especially a whole night beforehand]. It's hasn't gotten back to being cold enough to snow, but it was still chilly, and it rained [so I'm glad I threw on the arm warmers as an extra measure]. I suppose if I had to type this, it would be a neo-fuedal, cyberpunk samurai style. I will probably wear this again come Cherry Blossom season, if not sooner.

Do you have any clothes from a different era of time? If so, do you get to wear it that often? What would be your favorite crossover styles of old and new?

March is almost upon us now, look forward to some new music~
Eternally yours,
Il Ruinante Isaak

2 comments:

Liz said...

I love the hakama! That gradient look is pretty cool ^_^ I've actually just started thinking about wearing kimono and yukata regularly (I don't currently own a complete set, so it's just a vague plan for now). I like the idea of wearing traditional garments in modern ways, but I would need to learn how to do it properly first.

Il Ruinante Sir Isaak said...

Thank you~ I love the red blue, as well [at the clothes stand where I bought it, there was a light to dark green one and white to black one, but I'm glad I went with this one].

If you haven't already, you should look into making your own kimono or yukata; it'll likely be less expensive, and then you can choose your fabric pattern exactly as you like~.

One of the most important things to remember is when wrapping the kimono or yukata, it's left over right. Right over left makes you a dead body [O_O;].

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...